*Ooooops, I just went to add my project to the CC3C competition.... and I missed it by 53mins, note to self check timezones for closing dates. But never fear this was an opportunity to look for other comps and blogs and wow are there a lot out there. Altered Ecletics have a lovely page that lists lots of their fav sites. I am now entering this project for their May "anything goes competition" and Rhedd's Creative Spirit Altered Art challenge (I would love to win this prize and get my hands on their very generous totally tempting prize. Wish me luck!
I had wanted a place to keep my new glitter collection, I only have four at the moment but of course I NEED to have them all lol. I treat myself to a new Ranger product once a week or so, when I started crafting I bought cheaper items, I mean really how can glue, inks, glitter be that different from each other? I was wrong, I still don't know how they can be so different, I just accept that they are.
I had this MDF mini chest of drawers and thought it would be perfect for my glitters, those I have and those to come. I wanted it to look shabby so applied a base coat in white gesso the frosty skies followed by pantry white and then sanded it back.
I love working with Tim Holtz distress glitter, it seems they are a bit heavier than some others I have previously used and produced a lot less glittery puffs of messiness. My family, especially the men, will be most chuffed with this as they are all pretty fed up with leaving my house looking like they have romped with fairies. This is not a good look for 18 year old boys in particular!
I started by using the Distress Glitter technique on a mannequin that came in the Craftwork Cards paper couture collection I bought on create and craft a few weeks back, this is a fab kit and also comes with 12 inspiration sheets. I was inspired by Emma Williams Paper Couture Tutu dress project. Rather than have neat cones for the dress I wanted mine to be more curly. I punched out circles of 2 different sizes, I misted them with water and inked the edges. When dry I cut to the middle, slightly off centre, curled and then stacked them up on the dress. I then glittered a couple of punched hearts and mounted on some paper I had darkened down with Pumice Stone distress ink.
As I already had the glitter out I wanted to experiment with some other mediums. I added some re-inker and glitter to some texture paste and used the doily layering stencil (a gorgeous stencil that I a have used a treat with inks, paints and texture paste... so far) to add some interest to the top of the drawers. I was pleased with how this turned out although the glitter is very subtle.
Next I wanted to use a bottle I had in my stash to act as a block on top of the drawer to stop little things rolling off, having used "the technique" I thought I could probably build a glitter pile and hoped to get it to look like it was pouring out of the bottle. It took a few layers but I was so on a happy glitter roll I just needed to have more overflowing glitter bottles on this project. So a quick ebay shopping trip and delivery of some mini bottles and voila some nice little handles, I mounted them on some frames I fussy cut from the paper couture pad.
Instead of the pocket I had planned on putting on the other side I added some bits my girl would like better, some charms (I glittered the little heart on the wing one), a tag with her name and I used micaboss and some shimmer powders to turn a silver dream word into a colour suitable to this project.
Happy Crafting :)
Photos taken by my lovely Daughter x
Main Crafty Stash Used:
- Craftwork Cards Paper Couture Kit
- Tim Holtz Distress Glitter -Peacock Feathers, Antique Linen, Clear Rock Candy, Victorian Velvet
- Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Peacock Feathers, Pumice Stone, Tattered Rose, Victorian Velvet
- Tim Holtz Layering Stencil - Doily
- Indigoblu English Cottage Paint - Frosty Skies and Pantry White
- Mini Mister and Ink blender
- Bits and bobs I collect and cherish
- Glue ;)